- Who is your primary audience? Do you have a secondary one?
My primary audience is people who are looking for a well-designed and easy to use podcast manager that isn’t overwhelming in its amount of copy, emphasizes the listening experience, and also helps the user expand their listening library. The secondary audience could be people who are interested in podcasts but who have no experience with them, they need an app that can take their interests and suggest podcasts that relate to those interests.
- What are the top three objectives for your app?
Emphasize the listening screen! Keep it simple and clean so that the app is easy and pretty to navigate. Give the user the option to always have their podcasts downloaded/up to date through a connection they choose (data, wi-fi, home, etc).
- What are all of the features that related apps have? Are there any that you have thought of on your own? List as many as you can.
Searching for new podcasts, sorting podcasts by type, notifications for new episodes, episode descriptions, playlists, temporary download/deleting old episodes. I doubt I’ve actually thought of new features, but as far as the apps I looked in to I’d like to include the option to change settings for each podcast so that you can choose whether you want to auto download episodes and if you want to auto-delete episodes after a certain amount of time. It would be nice to have a sort of “pandora radio” esque option where you can have playlists full of related podcasts that will allow you to be introduced to new podcasts easily and quickly through streaming.
- What is the bare minimum in functionality that your web app should be able to do?
The app needs to have access to a full library of podcasts so that the user can create a playlist of their favorites and listen to that playlist with as little hassle as possible.
- What features are unnecessary or don’t lead directly to the objectives you listed above?
Creating/publishing your own podcast via the app, saving hard copies (non-temporary) of the podcast to your device, listening to a random assortment of podcasts to find something you like (though I still think this would be an interesting feature)
- What is your “Call to Action” (The first thing a user should do)?
The first thing the user should do is find podcasts that they would enjoy listening to, whether they’re found by name or by theme.